Thursday, December 5, 2019

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas


According to Wikipedia:
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is a song written in 1943 by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane and introduced by Judy Garland in the 1944 MGM musical Meet Me in St. LouisFrank Sinatra later recorded a version with modified lyrics. In 2007, ASCAP ranked it the third most performed Christmas song during the preceding five years that had been written.......

This is one of the first 5 songs or so, that I worked out a singing accompaniment for the dulcimer.
It has an instrumental break, a little intro, and I ended it with part of another (traditional) Christmas song.
I now think in terms of chords when working out a simple accompaniment, but at that time, I thought in terms of including melody notes (to keep me on key) with fillers, and tag endings to link phrases.  I was thinking of piano accompaniments of recorded versions of the song. My head just filled in the gaps between lyric phrasings.

No photo description available.It is played and sung in D-A-D tuning and doesn't require a 1+ fret.  It is being played on a mahogany, teardrop dulcimer which may account for a slightly "different" tone than what you're used to. Jack Larwa is the luthier and you can't see it in the video; it was custom made with a beautiful carved greyhound's head, and celtic knot sound holes. 
No photo description available.

You can hear me play and sing the song on my YouTube Channel (Janene M).  You will hear dogs milling around, pet birds clucking.  Sorry for the quality.
YouTube Video "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

I also made a "teaching" video of the song, with the simple tablature (my version of tab) displayed line by line, and my demonstrating each line with and without singing.
YouTube Video (Teaching Version) "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

I have the song sheet uploaded as a PDF but doesn't stand well on its own.  I haven't modified it for public consumption.  I understand my own documentation for remembering the song as I arranged it.  It never occurred to me to share it as such, the 9 years ago I did it and am not interested in putting in the time to modify it to make it more understandable to others.   If you follow the "teaching video" it will make more sense.
PDF song sheet for "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

No comments:

Post a Comment