Thursday, July 19, 2018

Goodnight My Someone - Meredith Willson

from The Music Man

I don't have much a story behind this song, except I've always loved it.  Had it worked out on the dulcimer in a higher register but was very difficult to play and sing at the same time. When I traced the chords I had "created" to make it sound right to my ear, I found these chords identified in my chord reference as Am6, Em6, E7,A7, Am G, D

I realized I now use the 1+ fret a lot, and decided to find the melody in a lower register. I found that playing it in 'G' was workable for my limited range.  This "arrangement" is strictly a chord arrangement to enable me to sing this song.  It is not tablature of the melody.  This is how I make a SONG SHEET to best sing a song.  I hadn't planned on offering this song in a TEACHING VIDEO so you are left to your own devices.

Short anecdote:  In the late 70s I was working in a southern California small city where the youth theater group put on a production of The Sound of Music during the summer.  I was told after one of the performances, that Meredith Willson was in the audience of our little 500 seat auditorium.  He evidently liked to go to community theater performances of his music, when he could.

Goodnight My Someone SONG SHEET
The simple chord accompaniment is hi-lited in YELLOW
You need a 1+ fret for this arrangement

No comments:

Post a Comment