Friday, July 27, 2018

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams


In Wikipedia, it is written that Hank Williams recorded the song in 1949 and the lyrics were originally meant to be spoken, as was his style in other recordings.  However, there is an interesting piece of information:
According to "Paul Gilley: Ghost Writer in the Sky," by Kentucky historian W. Lynn Nickell, Gilley sold the song to Williams with all the rights, allowing Williams to take credit for it.
Wikipedia "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"
Reading more about Gilley, he wrote a number of hits sung by other artists and drowned at the age of 27 in 1957. Here is some info on him Brief info on life and career of Paul Gilley

Here is my  TUTORIAL, illustrating chords used for accompaniment and a basic strum
Lonesome - video TUTORIAL

Here is my song sheet for my simply accompanied version of the song
PDF of SONG SHEET I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Here is the YouTube Video of my version I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry on dulcimer - Janene Millen

John Sackenheim's tablature book "The Mountain Dulcimer Plays Hank Williams"
John Sackenheim sells several tablature books of country and gospel music of which I own several. Full disclosure, the simple chorded version I use to create my song sheet was not taken from his tablature book. I collect tablature books which have taught me so much at times in my life where I was completely isolated from other dulcimer players. I especially appreciate those who make the effort to procure copyright clearances to offer contemporary songs and their efforts should be supported IMHO.

No comments:

Post a Comment