Monday, July 23, 2018

Teddy O'Neill - Traditional

A traditional Irish song written around 1840 and most likely comes from the North of Ireland.  The lyrics in the first verse suggest it's all a dream but by the third verse, it's an apparent reality for Nora, as her true love leaves on a ship. 

I first learned this song from a dulcimer tablature book.
Waltzing with the Dulcimer
By Tull Glazener
http://www.tullglazener.com/BK002-Waltzing_Tull-Glazener.htm
 
Mudcat.org lyrics and simple melody in musical notation
 

My PDF SONG SHEETS, downloadable:

 

Videos

a deeply sung version of Teddy O'Neill
 
 
 
If you wish to learn the instrumental of the song, for dulcimer, I recommend Tull's book "Waltzing with the Dulcimer"
 

Lyrics

I dreamt all last night  O bad cess* to my dreaming!
  
I'd die if I thought 'twould come surely to pass.
   
I dreamt while the tears down my pillow were streaming
 
That Teddy was courting another fair lass.
   
And didn't I wake with a weeping and wailing;
   
The grief in my heart was too deep to conceal.
   
My mother cried, "Nora, dear, what is your ailing?"
  
But all I could answer was Teddy O'Neill."
 
   
           
I've seen the old cabin beyond the wee boreen*;   
I've seen the old crossroads where we used to dance.
 
I've rambled the lane where he called me his storeen*
 
And my girlish heart felt the thrill of romance.
   
But now all around me is so sad and so dreary,
  
All dark and all silent -- no piper, no reel.
    
Not even the sun through my casement shines cheery
 
 
Since I left my darling boy Teddy O'Neill.
    
           
Shall I ever forget when the big ship was ready
   
And the time it was come for my love to depart?
 
  
How I cried like a child, "Oh goodbye to you, Teddy,"
  
With a tear on my cheek and a stone in my heart.
  
He said 'twas far better his fate he went roving,
   
But what would be gold to the joy I would feel
   
If he'd only come back to me, tender and loving,
  
Though poor, but my own darling Teddy O'Neill

 
 
(cess=luck, in this case bad luck)
       
(stor = treasure; storeen is diminuative)
(boreen = small country lane)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment