Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Musical Influences

I thought I'd offer some of the names of people that inspired me to attempt singing, somewhat later in life (in my 50s)  Started singing with dulcimer about 9 years ago.  I can trace that desire to a single song.  I had just discovered the English folksinger Kate Rusby and she was singing You Belong To Me, a pop tune.You Belong to Me - Kate Rusby (YouTube)  I actually felt her singing vibrate in my chest.  I HAD to work it out on the dulcimer so that I could find a way to be part of it rather than just listen.  I believe this was my first "arrangement" of a song to sing with the dulcimer.  I've since changed it, but I have to acknowledge my earliest efforts. You Belong to Me - Janene 2009

I don't listen to the radio much (unless it's a talk show).  I don't have the patience to sit through songs I don't absolutely love.  I discover songs from exploring on YouTube, iTunes, Spotify. Discovering one artist's repertoire would lead to the discovery of another, more songs, more artists etc. etc. When I discovered the ipod over 10 years ago...it enabled me to be totally absorbed in the songs I loved so much, over and over again. I never went anywhere without it; long walks from a parking lot to a destination, under the dryer getting my hair "done", in the waiting room at the doctor's office, in line at the DMV....I do watch quite a few movies, and LOVE dance TV shows and often freeze frame to jot down the name of a song I heard, identified in the credits.

Here is a sampling of some of the voices I particularly enjoy.  If you've responded to my choice of songs, you might explore some of these people whose music inspired me to try.

Mary Dillon The Green Fields of Canada
Cara Dillon Johnny, Lovely Johnny
Karine Polwart Dowy Dens of Yarrow
Mae McKenna Mirk, Mirk is the Midnight Hour
Dierdre Connolly (with Cherish the Ladies) Erin Gra Mo Crois
Mary Black Both Sides the Tweed
Patty Griffin Rain
Alison Krauss When You Say Nothing At All
Cathie Ryan Ned of the Hill
Emmylou Harris Boulder to Birmingham
Bonnie Raitt Love Has No Pride
Cathie Ryan Ned of the Hill
Mary Black Both Sides the Tweed
Heidi Talbot If You Stay

I LOVE harmonies:
Wailin Jennys One Voice
Cox Family Will There Be Any Stars in My Crown
Church Sisters Wild Flowers
Dixie Chicks God Speed
the Judds








No comments:

Post a Comment